How to Get to Heaven
This is a brief list based only on the scriptures– on God's own Word, the final authority. For a more complete version, please see our series on How to be a Christian...
• Repent: Quit doing sinful things.
“And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.” Ephesians 5:11
Sin is breaking God’s commandments. God’s commandments are found in the Bible.
“… Repent ye: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Matthew 3:2
“… Jesus began to preach, and to say, Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.” Matthew 4:17
• Pray to God in Jesus’ name:
- “And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.” John 16:23
Admit you’re a sinner and that you want to quit.
• Accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior. Ask Him into your life and give Him total control. Pray to God “without ceasing” in Jesus’ name.
- “Pray without ceasing.” I Thessalonians 5:17
• Use only a King James Version (KJV) Bible.
- “In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.” John 1:1
“Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.” Hebrews 13:8
“For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.” Matthew 5:18
- “For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.” Revelation 22:18-19
For more info, please see our page on the KJV.
• Read your Bible every day. Do what it says.
- “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.” Joshua 1:8
“Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed;” John 8:31
“But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.” James 1:22
• Worship only with true Christians. Stay out of “phony” churches (those that use or allow Bibles other than the KJV, deny parts of the KJV, or add man-made “doctrines” of their church.) Avoid all who use Bibles other than the KJV.
- “But in vain they do worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.” Matthew 15:9
• Cast out devils.
- “And these signs shall follow them that believe; In my name shall they cast out devils; they shall speak with new tongues; They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them; they shall lay hands on the sick, and they shall recover.” Mark 16:17-18
• Be Perfect:
- “Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.” Matthew 5:48